1. Nike Pro Hyperwarm tights: These are affordable, no frills, cold weather running tights. There’s nothing fancy about these, but they are incredibly comfortable and kept me warm while running up the 59th Street Bridge into a headwind of hail on Saturday. (They run a bit big so if you get them online I’d suggest ordering down one size.)
2. Coconut Oil: When it comes to beauty products I basically know nothing. However, the two things I do religiously in the winter are apply sunscreen before my runs and coconut oil after my long runs. Exposed skin takes a beating in the winter elements and I find coconut oil to be the keeps my skin from looking wind-burned.
3. Hot Yoga Classes at Pure Yoga: One of my goals for 2014 is to take two yoga classes a week. I’m currently obsessed with hot yoga classes, though admittedly they are super challenging for me. I often find myself in child’s pose while the rest of the class is in side crow or handstand.
4. Nike Running Club: I’ve hesitated to run with this group because of the large number of people who turn out for their summer runs, but the winter groups seem to be half the size. The Saturday group explores interesting routes (you won’t just be doing loops in Central Park), there’s a mix of paces and three different distance groups to choose from. Workouts are posted in the Nike Run Club Facebook group each week.
5. Garmin 220: I have a love hate relationship with garmin gps watches. Mine never work for more than 15 months, but at the same time I can’t seem to live without one. The difference between this watch and my others is significant. At least this time I feel I purchased a better product. One feature that sets it apart is the ability to create workouts online at Garmin Connect and download them to the watch.
6. Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You’re Suppose to Be and Embrace Who You Are: The title of this book says it all.