I heard once that running is 20% physical and 80% mental. Your mental game can make or break your run on any given day. One way to combat this is with your own personal mantra. My running mantra happens to made up of numbers instead of letters. Yep that’s right, I count.
Here’s the crazy part of my counting… I count to 100 5x. When I’m running long distances, I count to 100 5x for 5x. Don’t ask me why. I have no idea. Its just what I do.
Counting helps me zone out, run faster and run longer.
Ways counting can get you through a tough run:
- Only allow yourself to look at your watch when you’ve counted to 500 or (100 5x).
- See how far you can run while counting to 500.
- Predict how many times you’ll have to count to 500 before you finish your run.
- Tell yourself that if you count to 500 5x then you don’t have to run any further. Repeat until, you’ve completed your assigned distance for the day.
- The second a negative thought pops into your head, start counting.
- The second you feel like you want to quit, start counting.