For as long as I can remember I’ve had a craving to bake healthy delicious treats. I remember my sister asking me when we were younger “if I could just bake something normal.” Well, I guess I could, but that wouldn’t be any fun!
Last night I did a little baking before I went to bed. As you know I was planning on writing about sneaking in exercise, but it seems my camera died during the night. The battery is charged, but it won’t turn on. Luckily, I uploaded these photos last night.
Vegan Pumpkin-Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar (+ additional 2 t for sugar and spice mix)
- 1.5 t baking soda
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/4 t sea salt
- 2 t pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and ginger) + an additional teaspoon for sugar and spice mix
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 cup pure pumpkin
- 1 T flax + 3 T warm water
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 cup of non dairy milk (I used almond)
Directions: Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Grease mini muffin pan. Mix dry ingredients together (excluding choc. chips) and set aside. Mix flax seed with warm water in separate small bowl. Mix wet ingredients together and add “flax egg.” Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir until mixed. Add in chocolate chips. Spoon into muffin pan. Mix additional sugar and spices together and sprinkle over the top of the muffins. Bake for 15 – 18 minutes.