For those of you who have committed to going vegan with me for the week (Monday, February 7th – Sunday, February 13th) I thought I’d give you a few tips to make you’re week a little easier and perhaps a little healthier. Remember, just because you’re giving up chicken and ice cream doesn’t guarantee you’ll be eating healthier.
Here are a few tips that will help you make “good” vegan food choices throughout the week.
– Avoid, gaining weight by making sure to load up on veggies and not extra starches. Replacing meat with extra starches may lead to weight gain.
– Read the ingredient list on food packages. Processed vegan foods often contain a lot of ingredients. Remember you want to choose foods with a short list of ingredients (So Delicious coconut ice cream is delish, but loooong ingredient list).
– Research foods that are high in calcium (dark leafy greens, tofu, figs, and white beans) and include them in your diet daily.
– Make sure you consume enough protein and healthy fats to stay satiated and to eat a balanced diet.
– Arm yourself with vegan recipes. A few of my favorites:
- Apple-Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- Summer Berry Pancakes
- Easy Roasted Garlic Tomato Basil Sauce (just don’t top it with cheese)
- Sweet Potato with pomegranate seeds in light coconut milk
– Planning ahead is essential.
- Scan a menu before going to an event or on a dinner date.
- Carry vegan friendly snacks.
- Try out a vegan restaurant. My NYC picks are Candle Cafe, Blossom and Gobo.
What other tips do you have for planning a week of vegan eats?
* I am not a registered dietitian. For more specific information for your specific dietary needs please consult a Registered Dietitian.