After crossing the finish line of the LA Marathon, my number one goal was to do everything I could possibly do to recover quickly so I could get back to training for Boston. Typically after a marathon I do a few of these things, but not all of them.
Here’s what I did on race day:
- A 10 minute cool-down walk
- Force fed myself a mix of Vanilla Vega Sport Performance Protein and almond milk within 30 minutes of finishing the race
- Took a 15 minute ice bath right after I finished the drink
- Ate a real meal within two hours of finishing (and yes that meal included a margarita)
- Wore compression socks and went for a long walk
- Did dynamic stretching before going to bed
Recovery schedule the week after the race:
- Monday: 2 mile recovery jog at a super easy pace, foam rolled lightly and stretched.
- Tuesday: 5 mile walk
- Wednesday: Hot yoga class (spent 1/3 of the time in child’s pose)
- Thursday: Complete rest day
- Friday: 2.5 mile run on a soft surface
- Saturday: 5k run on a flat surface
- Sunday: Complete rest day
I went for my first real run yesterday and although my legs felt a little stiff from not moving around much Sunday and Monday, I felt good!
What steps do you take to recover quickly from hard workouts, long runs or races?