It’s marathon training season!
The first few weeks of training set the tone for the entire season. And because I know you want to get off on the right foot, I’m giving you five steps that will lead you to success.
1. Prioritize your runs and write them on your calendar. Marathon training means making sacrifices. This means you’ll sometimes have to choose your run or workout over social events, but don’t worry, once marathon training ends you’ll have plenty of time to enjoy all the social activities you want to.
2. Build positive momentum. Start out the training period on the right foot by missing as few of your scheduled workouts as possible. I know you will miss workouts at times, but you really want to be on track as much as possible in the beginning. Missing workouts can cause a negative thought pattern to form or cause undue stress. Completing your scheduled workouts in the beginning means that later in training when you miss a run or two, it won’t matter as much. In the beginning, you are laying down important groundwork to ensure your success.
3. Foam roll on most days of the week even if it’s just for 5 minutes a day. Here is a weekly foam rolling schedule I created that you can easily follow.
4. Complete both a warm-up and cool-down each time you run.They are essential parts of the workout, however, if you are short on time do the warm-up, but skip the cool-down.
5. Fuel well. Eat the foods that will make you feel your best both when you are running and throughout the day. Consider keeping a food journal along side your training journal so that you can pinpoint any foods that aren’t serving you.